About West Palm Behavioral Health
West Palm Behavioral Health Services provides wide-ranging psychiatric and behavioral health treatments. Our 120 bed inpatient unit is located adjacent to JFK Medical Center North Campus.
Our psychiatrists assess the needs of children, adolescents, adults and seniors are assessed and provide treatment through a full range of programs that include individual therapy, group therapy, family therapy, medication management and aftercare. We are one of the few programs in the area to offer an interactive treatment mall as part of the healing experience.
An intensive outpatient program(IOP) and a partial hospitalization program(PHP) are also offered. The Pavilion is one of the largest licensed Baker Act receiving facility that accepts children in Palm Beach County.
About the Baker Act
Every state has laws in place to protect the public from potential harm. In Florida, the Baker Act was created to protect individuals, and those around them, from harm during a psychiatric crisis. Individuals who are at risk for harming themselves or others are held for up to 72 hours for comprehensive psychiatric assessment. The Baker Act is intended to ensure safety.
Only specific individuals can Baker Act:
- Emergency Room Physicians
- Licensed Clinical Therapists
- School Police Officer
Once the individual has passed evaluation or has de-escalated the Baker Act can be lifted.
For over twenty years, The Pavilion at JFK North has provided exceptional behavioral health services. We provide psychiatric care for patients as far as Martin County, Belle Glade and Boca Raton. Our services cover a broad spectrum of needs based on what’s best for the condition and age of the patient. Information about our programs is listed, below:
- Acute Intensive: Patients in crisis or severely mentally ill patients may require more specialized care. The Pavilion at JFK North has 17 beds dedicated to patients with acute or chronic psychiatric disorders requiring intervention.
- Adult Inpatient: Patients may step down from the acute intensive program or be admitted directly to our 19 bed adult inpatient unit. While receiving inpatient care, patients may take part in our Treatment Mall, a unique feature of our program. At the Treatment Mall, patients have four hours to work on assignments in group sessions off the inpatient unit. Treatment mall is available for adult and senior patients.
- Adolescent: We understand that children have separate emotional and developmental needs. Our 27-bed Youth Program treats children age 4 to 17 and is further divided into two age groups: 4 through 12 and 13 through 17. We employ board-certified adolescent psychiatrists who are skilled in caring for children. Our units are also staffed with nurses specially trained in child and adolescent psychiatry. Our adolescent program has an education coordinator connected with Palm Beach School District. The coordinator provides assistance with schoolwork while children are in the hospital and helps with school placement, should the need arise.
- Senior/Geriatric: Adults in later stages of life also have special needs. This 25 bed psychiatric unit accommodates patients age 65 and older, and is outfitted to provide medical in addition to mental health services.
- Medical/Psychiatric Unit- 32 beds: Occasionally, patients with a history of diagnosed mental health conditions will come to the hospital for a medical reason, like a cardiac event or acute illness. The Pavilion at JFK North has a 32 bed medical-psych unit staff with nurses dually trained in medicine and psychiatry. Patient can receive the medical attention they need while receiving care from a nurse skilled in managing mental health conditions.
Visiting hours are held on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, though hours may vary depending on the unit.
Patients are assessed in a dedicated behavioral health intake department prior to being admitted to the hospital.
Outpatient behavioral health services allow patients to receive care, with the benefit of staying in their own home when not receiving treatment. Descriptions of the programs are as follows:
- Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP): The partial hospitalization program is designed to provide psychiatric treatment to individuals requiring intensive treatment, but not 24-hour care. Attendees complete four group sessions per day, five days per week aimed at improving mental health symptoms. Our team takes a multidisciplinary approach to care and involves psychiatrists, nurses, social workers and therapists. Meals and snacks are provided. Transportation may be available. For more information call 561-881-4360.
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP): IOP services are available during the day or in the evening three days a week. This program is ideal for individuals balancing mental health support with work and home responsibilities. Separate senior programming is available. Transportation may be available. For more information call 561-881-2692.
- Adolescent Intensive Outpatient Program (AIOP): Similar to the adult IOP, adolescent IOP focuses on improving individual skills while also considering the family unit. Patients participate in three groups twice a week. For more information call 561-881-2695.
- Electro-Convulsive Therapy (ECT): Sometimes, mental health conditions do not respond to conventional treatment. When other therapies fail, electro-convulsive therapy may be an option. ECT is used to treat conditions such as chronic, unresolved depression and post-partum depression. ECT involves using brief electrical stimulation to help increase the flow of chemicals in the brain. Treatment may be received as an inpatient or outpatient.
Self-referrals are welcome. Our programs accept most insurance plans for our inpatient and outpatient programs. We look forward to being part of your path to healing.